Fire Engines came to Willunga on Saturday, September 10 in a celebration of fire fighting heritage organised by the National Trust of South Australia.
The sun made a belated entrance in the afternoon, encouraging about 400 people to enjoy the spectacle of fire engines and fire fighting equipment from years gone by.
Modern fire appliances from the Willunga CFS and the Seaford fire station were also on show, much to the delight of adults and children alike.
The star of the show was the Jaguar XK120 Roadster, purchased for Fire Chief Whyte in 1950.
Such an extravagant purchase caused some consternation among both politicians and the public according to the accompanying display that recounted the roadster’s history.
The vehicle was restored and is still owned by the Loffler family, formerly of Willunga.
Generous volunteers provided vehicles for the event, including a 1922 T model Ford towed all the way from Burra.
Visitors also enjoyed the display of old tools, vintage firefighting equipment, machine guns and a cannon.
Food was provided by the McLaren Vale Rotary Club and Lloyd with his coffee van.
Volunteers from the Willunga Branch of the National Trust hosted the event and many visitors also visited the Courthouse and Slate Museums.
Visitors could also purchase the book, Picture of Fortitude: honouring Willunga’s Cheer-up girls; and the soldiers they supported, for sale at the Courthouse.