The Friends of Nangawooka Flora Reserve hosted a morning tea on December 5 to thank the descendants of the Rumbelow family for the gift of a piece of Victor Harbor history.
The gift was stone walling from their family home 'Yeltanna', situated at Yilki, which was quarried on West Island, Encounter Bay around 1880.
At this time, granite from West Island was used in the construction of Parliament House in Adelaide.
After Yeltanna was demolished in the early 1990's the stone was stored by the Victor Harbor Council, who with the family's consent, donated the dressed stone to Nangawooka Flora Reserve.
The stone has been used to form gardens near the gazebo and in the Scented Garden.
A plaque records the history of this dressed granite.
The Friends Group appreciates that this gift will be of interest to future visitors and a rich part of the Victor Harbor’s history.
The Rumbelow family were represented by the family Matriarch Yvonne Hobbs, siblings Kay Ewens and Glenn Rosser and Elaine Boyce (from the Cakebread side of the family).
A plaque records the history of this dressed graniteFriends of Nangawooka Flora Reserve
Ten members of the Friends group attended the event and enjoyed some of the stories of the early Rumbelow family and their experiences.