Shed fire spreads to grass, vineyard at Wattle Flat

A fire in a shed on Pyne Hill Road at Wattle Flat has spread to grass and damaged a neighbouring vineyard.

The Country Fire Service (CFS) was called to the scene at 1.47pm on Thursday, February 15, where a welding machine sparked a fire in the shed which caused $60,000 damage.

A CFS spokesman said the fire then spread to paddocks and a vineyard next door, burning four hectares and causing an extra $40,000 damage.

“Six firetrucks attended the blaze with about 25 firefighters. Additional teams were called in because it was hard to get between the rows of vines,” he said.

There is no risk posed by the fire to the public, but a large amount of smoke is visible and motorists are urged to take care in the area.

For more information listen to your local ABC radio or visit www.cfs.sa.gov.au