Mount Compass defeats Langhorne Creek in football

LITTLE HERO: Bulldog Craig Merritt is under the ball with Hawk Curtis Perrey going at full steam to spoil on Saturday in the qualifying final. Photo: Shani Lance.
LITTLE HERO: Bulldog Craig Merritt is under the ball with Hawk Curtis Perrey going at full steam to spoil on Saturday in the qualifying final. Photo: Shani Lance.

There were many brilliant passages of play, marks taken and goals kicked in the qualifying final played at Willunga oval on Saturday between Mount Compass and Langhorne Creek, but it was a smother which sealed the deal for the Dogs.

Mount Compass were up by more than 30 points into the last quarter, but the Hawks were not to be denied, as they all of a sudden showed their true form and in a flash, had the margin cut back to 11 points and the match in the balance with 10 minutes to go.

It was all the Hawks in the last term after trailing by 31 points at three quarter time.

Kellock, Perrey, Tonkin, Matt Dominish and Rothe all found plenty of the footy and in a rush they had goals from Rodgers who was grabbing and exciting the crowd with big marks, Mitchell Cleggett and Darcy Clifford.

It was brilliant football, as for a 20 minute period Naylon was on top of Hoban and it looked as if the Hawks were to steal the win. Mount Compass had gone from planning tactics for the second semi final to working out what went wrong and to save the match.

Then with 11 points the difference, the Hawks surged once again with Howell with the football at the 50 metre line and letting loose with a prodigious kick to the big sticks. In steps Craig Merritt, who throws himself at the football and the boot of Howell to smother the kick and divert the ball back in the Dogs kicking direction.

It is not a statistic, which rates highly within those who count kicks and handballs regardless of their efficiency, but for the coaching staff and Mount Compass supporters it was pure gold and had the crowd standing up in applause of the courage and the importance of the act.

The act by Merritt swung the momentum back in Mount Compass’ favour, as they repelled forward for Parsons to mark and goal from 50 to seal the match.

The game opened with both teams causing turnovers, but It was Compass with their talls up forward which were more efficient with their forward entries. Hill was causing problems for Langhorne Creek and the combination of Hoban and Daniel were winning the middle.

Perrey for the Hawks was everywhere and Kellock slowly came into the game.

Killian was on top of Pinyon and Saunders, Clifford, Rothe, Basir, Derham and James were winning a lot of ball for the Hawks in defence.

At quarter time the margin was only six points with one goal kicked for the term by the Dogs. The second quarter was all Mount Compass with Hill in control up forward and Daniel, Green and Parsons causing trouble around the footballl.

With the Creek continuing to play a loose man in defence, left little scoring power when they went forward and the likes of Brokenshire, Tom Corbett, Ritter and Camac could raffle who would provide the rebound. By sheer numbers of forward entries the Dogs scored six goals for the term to lead by 25 points at half time. 

Compass continued their dominance in the third and led by 31 points at the last change. The scene was set for the Hawk comeback, but it fell 11 points short and will now meet Yankalilla in a knockout final on Sunday at Victor Harbor Oval.


Discuss "A Dog one per center gets his team home"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.