Mount Compass march into third straight grand final

UNSTOPPABLE: Mount Compass champion Tom Pinyon races off with the ball on his way to kicking eight goals and have his Dogs in the grand final. Photo: Shani Lance.
UNSTOPPABLE: Mount Compass champion Tom Pinyon races off with the ball on his way to kicking eight goals and have his Dogs in the grand final. Photo: Shani Lance.

In an even first half, Mount Compass took off like a rocket in the second half to claim the second semi final by 66 points against minor premiers Willunga.

The minor premiership and the week off counted for very little for Willunga at Langhorne Creek oval on Saturday.

The Demons were subjected to a mauling and the player who led the assault was key forward Tom Pinyon.

Pinyon kicked eight goals and the Demon defence was powerless to stop him whether the ball was in the air or on the ground.

The first term was very competitive with the Demons matching it with the Dogs. Hutchens was making his presence felt with two goals for the term and Tregenza chimed in with one more.

But each time the Demons looked to move the ball and the scoreboard in their direction, Pinyon would bob up and he dobbed three goals himself for the quarter to have the Dogs 11 points up at quarter time.

In the second term both teams kicked four goals, with the Willunga key targets in Standfield and Garrett booting two each. Beath was finding plenty of the ball and Paterson was his tough uncompromising self.

The tall targets of Prest and Hill were complementing the great work of Pinyon and in the second term all three kicked goals to maintain the lead at halftime.

Scores were 8-10 to 7-3 at the long break.

In the third term it was party time for the Dogs, as they pulled out their tricks.

They went on a goal scoring rampage booting 7-1 to Willunga’s 1-3. Pinyon booted another three, Hill kicked another and Daniel who had been the General in the mid field, chimed in with a major himself.

Garrett scored a goal against the flow for Willunga, but the margin and the game had blown well away from Willunga’s grasp.

Mount Compass led by 47 points at the last change.

In the last quarter Willunga had eyes on the preliminary final, as Mount Compass once again kicked away with goals to Green, Prest and that man Pinyon, who kicked two more, to take his tally to a match winning eight goals.

Willunga managed one more goal in the last to make it only two goals for the last half and once again it was off the boot of Garrett. Garrett played a lone hand up forward kicking four of Willunga’s nine goals for the match.

The last half was relentless football by the Dogs as they kicked 11-5 to Willunga’s 2-6 in the last half.

Best players for Mount Compass were Pinyon, Tom Corbett who ran hard all day with fantastic clearance work, Daniel, Creek, Davis, Green and Hill.

Best for Willunga were Garrett for his four goal haul from limited opportunities, Beath, Paterson, Cook, Hutchens and Nelson.

Willunga now have to regroup and prepare for a tough preliminary final at Myponga oval against a confident Yankalilla, who are on a roll winning two knockout finals.

The upside for the Demons is the club’s depth and the way which its Reserves side is playing, while Mount Compass can now get ready for a rare opportunity to win back to back A grade premierships.


Discuss "Bulldogs in third straight grand final"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.