The Australian Flag stills flies proudly at the Port Elliot RSL Sub Branch on The Strand after 75 years of service. The Sub Branch opened on April 6, 1943 when local Great War veterans joined together to establish an RSL.
For some years meetings were held in St Judes Church Hall, at the golf club, in members’ homes and the Institute. After raising funds through the 1950s, the Sub Branch purchased the former Police Station and Courthouse complex with the Hall being opened in November 1963.
Later the Police Station was sold to contribute funds towards maintenance of the historic Courthouse building. From 1965 to 1991 Port Elliot, with seven other nearby RSL Sub Branches, held an annual South Coast Golf Week which, with other activities, raised over $500,000 for the Myrtlebank War Veterans Home.
Over 75 years its members have served Australia in World War 2, Korea, Vietnam and more recent conflicts including Afghanistan. Port Elliot RSL conducts the Anzac Day Dawn and Remembrance Day commemoration services. Port Elliot RSL encourages everyone to become involved.
A celebratory luncheon was held where former long serving office bearers, Alan Oliver and John Lane, were presented with certificates of appreciation.