Goolwa/Port Elliot push Mudlarks for a half

Strathalbyn forward Marc Elliot takes a mark on the goal line on Saturday against Willunga's James Collier.
Strathalbyn forward Marc Elliot takes a mark on the goal line on Saturday against Willunga's James Collier.

After being dismantled by McLaren in round five to the tune of more than 200 points, Goolwa/Port Elliot showed greater resolve on Saturday against finals aspirant Myponga–Sellicks.

The Mudlarks kicked with the breeze in the first quarter in their clash with Goolwa/Pt Elliot and quickly hit the scoreboard when Miller soccered a ball off the ground and followed up by a good mark to convert.

Other goals came through Clarke and Enthal who kicked two for the quarter. Although the Mudlarks controlled the quarter the Magpies were extremely efficient kicking two straight to be in touch at quarter time.

The margin at the first break was 20 points.

The Mudlarks thought they were on a roll when they kicked the first goal of the second quarter, but the Magpies had other ideas, as Hayward dominated  in the ruck and Ferguson, Godwin-Knott and Pearce created opportunities up forward. The Magpies kicked 4 straight goals to be 3 points down at the long break.

The Mudlarks’ woes were further enhanced as Hill left the field on a stretcher with a knee injury. The Mudlarks reshuffled at half time with Flitham replacing Hill at centre half back, Merrett who had been quiet in the first half, now began to be damaging to the Magpies.

Hutchinson snapped a good goal and then took a strong pack mark to help widen the gap, as the Mudlarks were in control of the Magpies.

Griffen, Reid and Cinc tried hard alongside workhorse Hayward, but the Magpies were 36 points down at the last break.

The last quarter was a repeat of the third as Goolwa/Pt Elliot could manage only one goal where as the Mudlarks goaled through Allen, Hoey,  Bartetzko and Clarke to put the game out of reach of the young Magpie side.

The Mudlarks in victory know they will need to eliminate more mistakes if they wish to see September action, but still their last half was full of merit.

They kicked 10-8 to Goolwa/Port Elliot’s two straight goals to win comfortably by 59 points.

Merrett, Hoey, Allen, Clarke and Flintham were best for the Mudlarks. The Magpies were best served by Hayward, Godwin-Knott, Reid and Griffen.