Victor Harbor drops football game to Willunga

STAR ON THE RISE: Victor Harbor youngster Zach Dowling gets clear on Saturday to drive the ball forward in the close match against Willunga.
STAR ON THE RISE: Victor Harbor youngster Zach Dowling gets clear on Saturday to drive the ball forward in the close match against Willunga.

Conditions were perfect as Victor and Willunga faced each other following strong wins for both clubs in round seven.

It was Victor that did all the attacking early with Brad Borrillo scoring in the first minute and Ross capitalising on a Les Weetra forced turnover to goal on the run. Burdett replied soon after for the visitors from the pocket, as did Mills.

The Roos went inside 50, time after time, but squandered their chances, then were punished on the quick turnover two more times as Willunga went coast to coast when Bass jagged one off the ground and Milford capitalised on a 50 that put him on the goal line.Victor were wasteful in front of goal with seven scoring shots to five, but trailed by eight points.

Bryant opened the scoring for Victor after the first break, but Cook slotted the quick reply for the Demons.

Hoffmann was one of Willunga’s best through the middle all day and kicked a long goal to stretch the lead.

The goal for goal scenario continued with Borrillo kicking his second when running onto a Bryant pass into goal, but Martin replied for the visitors soon after before Victor lifted with three in a row to Bryant, Ross and Alleway.

McKay was battling well in the ruck against Bass and Mills, Wade’s pressure was tenacious, Connors skills superb, Basham marking strongly across half back and Ross continued to lead the way with hard ball gets to give Victor a well earned four point lead at the long break.

The third term was once again very even with both sides going hard for the footy, but not getting caught up in anything spiteful as there was too much to play for.

Roos playing coach, Alleway, broke the shackles with a strong display of contested marks to boot all of Victors four goals for the quarter.

Renney marked up forward to get one back, but Victor now had a game high three goal lead and had finally been able to apply some scoreboard pressure after so many early misses.

Victor were well on top and should have built a bigger lead, but Willunga replied with a strong five minute surge to end the term when Bass was awarded a pack mark dead in front, Boyd received a 50 and Bass once again, despite being the biggest man on the field, was awarded a free for being shepherded out 10 metres from goal to even the scores just before the last change.

Alleway snapped the opener in the last quarter to post his sixth for the day. Willunga’s winning culture served them well as they found enough when it mattered most to constantly both score, and put pressure on Victor with their superior accuracy in front of goal to finish with a very sharp 16-4.

Martin, Cook and Renney added goals, as Damon Ross and Beath continued the supply inside 50. Fletcher kicked the last for the day after a month of great form, but it was not enough with Willunga holding on by 11 points.