This advertising feature is sponsored by Hotel Victor. Click on the link to learn more.
Preparation: 15 mins + chestnut prep time
Cooking: 10 mins
Ingredients for 4
- 340g fresh chestnuts or 260g cooked and peeled chestnuts quartered
- Stir-fry sauce
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp peanut oil
- 500g beef rump, sirloin or flat iron steak, thinly sliced across the grain
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 125g snow peas, trimmed and halved lengthways
- 1 bunch bok choy, trimmed, stems chopped and leaves separated
- Steamed rice or noodles, to serve
To roast chestnuts
Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
Cut shallow cross into the flat side of each chestnut shell.
Place prepared chestnuts onto a baking tray and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the shells split open.
Once cooked, remove chestnuts from the heat. While chestnuts are still warm, quickly peel off the outer brown shell and remove the papery thin skin underneath. Cut chestnuts into quarters.
To make stir-fry sauce, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
Heat 2 tsp oil in a wok over high heat. Add chestnuts and stir-fry for 2 minutes until golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate and set aside
Heat 1 tbsp oil in the wok over high heat. Add half the beef and stir-fry until evenly browned. Transfer to a plate.
Repeat using 2 tsp oil and remaining beef. Set aside
Add onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, snow peas and bok choy stems to wok. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
Toss through bok choy leaves and 2 tbsp water, cover and cook for 1 minute. Toss through beef and chestnuts.
Serve with rice or noodles.