Willunga knock out Encounter Bay from the Great Southern Football League finals

The big men fly in the Great Southern finals.
The big men fly in the Great Southern finals.

Willunga bolted out of the blocks on Sunday in the elimination final, while Encounter Bay seemed to be still stuck with the minor round mind set.

The Demons were running clear of their opponents as Burdett and Standfield scored goals and Beath who had no one checking him booted three goals for term.

Davis-Neale for the Bays snuck one goal, but trailed by 25 points at the first change.  

In the second quarter, Encounter Bay hit a finals groove and gained all the possession.

Davis and Davis-Neale scored goals for the Bays, while youngster Jack Burns scored a goal for the Demons against the flow of play.

If it was not for their inaccuracy, Encounter Bay would have been in front at half time, but instead were 15 points in arrears.

The Bays booted 2-6 for the term to Willunga’s 1-1. Eight scoring shots to two was a massive difference, but it could not be converted into a lead.

The third quarter had both teams throwing everything to win the football.

Burdett, Altus, Beath and Hoffmann were showing their class for Willunga and for the Bays, Hooper, Hamish Tonkin and Bonnes were leading a strong defence and the combination of Callum Tonkin in ruck and Ben Davis on the ball was working a treat.

Burdett scored two goals for the term for Willunga, while Altus and Hoffmann chimed in with one apiece, while for the Bays, Campbell’s speed set up a goal for himself and Reece Kleinig and Davis-Neale also scored majors to have the Bays down by 22 points at three quarter time.  

The last quarter was tipped to be a beauty as it was do or die for the loser. Both sides came out humming and bodies were falling everywhere.

Davis was in a mood and wanted to grab the game by the throat for Encounter Bay and Horrocks, Nick Marshall, Hamish and Callum Tonkin were all following his lead.

However, Willunga had other ideas and with Alexopoulos, Brown and Haskett leading the defence, it became a springboard to attack.

The Demons kicked the first two goals for the term and it looked over, but goals to Horrocks and Davis changed everything.

Another two goals to Davis-Neale and Nick Marshall had the margin cut to only 12 points.

As they had done all day, Willunga had the answers.

Altus, Standfield and Martin scored goals to seal the match.

Showing great character, Encounter Bay never bowed, as the term drifted past the 30 minute mark after Beath required medical attention.

Marshall scored, as did Davis, but it was all over for Encounter Bay, losing by 13 points.

Final scores were Willunga 13-12 to Encounter Bay 11-11.