Great Southern football if alive and well in all grades

Willunga speedster Kane Milford gets his kick away in the Reserves second semi final on Saturday against McLaren.
Willunga speedster Kane Milford gets his kick away in the Reserves second semi final on Saturday against McLaren.

Do not worry about the A grade finals, all grades had spectators, players and coaching staff on the edge of their seats. 

What a weekend of football it was with McLaren being dumped from the junior colts and senior colts and Mount Compass the Reserves.

In the first semi finals on Sunday at Encounter Bay, Strathalbyn stormed home with five goals in the last term to defeat McLaren by 12 points in the junior colts. At three quarter time it was 1-12 to four points with McLaren having a firm grip on the game and an amazing last term saw the Roosters get home.

In the senior colts it was a kick after the siren by Victor Harbor’s Jarrod Morden that saw Victor Harbor defeat McLaren by five points. McLaren looked to have the game won, but Victor Harbor found something to give them another chance in this finals series.

In the Reserves, Myponga/Sellicks defeated Mount Compass by 27 points and always looked in control.

The second semi finals on the Saturday at Goolwa saw the Willunga juggernaut roll on with three of its teams marching into the grand final.

The Willunga junior colts were way too good for Encounter Bay leading all day to win by 24 points. In the senior colts, it was much the same with the Demons rolling the Bays by 25 points.

In the Reserves, Willunga did not have it all its own way, but still got the job done to inflict McLaren’s first loss for the season.

At three quarter time Willunga trailed 3-10 to 3-6, but in the last, the switch was flicked and the Demons booted 6-3 to McLaren’s 1-1 to win by 28 points.

Encounter Bay in the junior and senior colts and McLaren in the Reserves all get another chance and will play in this week’s preliminary finals at McLaren Vale.

Another game was played early on Sunday where McLaren and Willunga played a magnificent game of Mini Colts football. It was the Mini Colts grand final and the under 12s put on a spectacle which thrilled the huge crowd.

Willunga won the game by seven points, but McLaren did not give up and it was a treat to see the next generation of footballers that will grace the Great Southern Football League ovals in the years to come.