SAPOL have advised residents to take the action to protect themselves, their families and their possessions during the school holiday period; this follows 13 break-ins within the Southern Vales region reported to Southern Districts Police in the last week.
Police are advising people to take the following action:
- Secure your home and ask neighbours to keep an eye on your property
- Create the illusion that you are home by using timers on lights, radios, and TV's
- Ensure your garden is clean - cut grass and trim bushes to eliminate hiding places
- Never leave clues that you are away - ask a neighbour or friend to collect mail or newspaper
- Don't advertise your absence through social media - or you could make your home a target
People are encouraged to report suspicious behaviors, particularly around schools during this time.
Crime Stoppers can be contacted on 1800 333 000 and you can remain anonymous.