Willunga defeat Yankalilla in Great Southern football

SEARCHING FOR ANSWERS: Encounter Bay onballer Tyson Davis-Neale gets clear of Mount Compass utility Brent Creek on Saturday.
SEARCHING FOR ANSWERS: Encounter Bay onballer Tyson Davis-Neale gets clear of Mount Compass utility Brent Creek on Saturday.

Willunga went into the game one win behind Yankalilla but emerged, after a convincing win, on equal points. Willunga won the toss and kicked with a two goal breeze. Both sides had opportunities to convert, but missed.

The Demon's Hoffman broke the stalemate with a long goal from the boundary line. A Dawson tackle freed the ball for Hunt to kick Willunga's second. Laba, Braendler and McConnell attacked the ball ferociously for Yankalilla, but the class and pace of Hutchens allowed him to kick two goals in two minutes. Willunga's Bass dominated the centre square knocks, putting the ball to the advantage of Beath, Dawson and Tregenza. They forced the ball forward where Jake Renney kicked a rare goal at the 20 minute mark. Demons up by 32 points at quarter time.

The Tigers were struggling to score and it was not until the second term that Braendler took a strong mark and kicked truly to open the goal kicking for the visitors. Willunga through Wakefield and Scott moved the ball forward where Standfield stood tall and kicked straight. Kay, Garner, Braendler and McConnell worked hard for Yankalilla, but the high marking Bass proved a difficult match-up and it was the Demons by 42 points at half time.

The premiership quarter also belonged to the Demons. They kicked four goals to one to set up a match winning lead of 66 points.

The final quarter was the most even of the game. Yankalilla started with run and precision kicking. Laba powered the ball forward to Jelinek who pulled in a fiercely contested mark and kicked a long goal. One minute later Braendler pulled in a strong mark and slotted a long six-pointer. Willunga regained their composure to out score the Tigers and win by 72 points.

McLaren defeated Strathalbyn

It took three quarters for the Roosters to shrug off last year's grand finalists to lose by 25 points. There was nothing in the game for the first three terms with the margin four points at quarter time, two points at the half and three points at three quarter time. In the last term Strathalbyn ran out of petrol and McLaren ran all over them kicking 5-5 to 2-1.

For McLaren Ellison kicked six goals and Jimmy Mathews played a good game. For Strathalbyn O'Grady, Clamp, Machin, Sterling and Slattery played well.


Discuss "Demons too tight for Tigers"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.