Langhorne Creek pull away to beat Goolwa/Port Elliot in Great Southern football

DESIRE: Myponga/Sellicks defender Damien Hill takes on Victor Harbor goal sneak Luke Davey in a battle to win the football on Saturday.
DESIRE: Myponga/Sellicks defender Damien Hill takes on Victor Harbor goal sneak Luke Davey in a battle to win the football on Saturday.

Langhorne Creek hosted the Goolwa/Port Elliott Magpies last Saturday at Hawk Park. The visitors put up a good show for the first three quarters before the home side ran over them in the final term, winning by 40 points.

The first goal was kicked by Casey for Goolwa/Port Elliot and Fry kicked truly shortly afterwards allowing the visitors to have the early runs on the board. A quick pick up and goal from Perrey gave the home side their first major. Kellock for the Hawks threaded a goal from a tight boundary position and at quarter time the Hawks had a slim one point margin.

The magpies began the second term with a goal to the high leaping Fry. The Hawk defence was being tested with Saunders and Derham working overtime. Meanwhile Sutter and Miller for the visitors were giving plenty of drive. Matt Dominish for the Hawks kicked the next goal, but the contest remained tight at the main break. Hawks up by seven points.

The third began with goals to the Magpies through Christian and Woods, however the Hawks replied through Lally, Kellock and Jake Dominish. For the Magpies Griffen and Ferguson worked hard to stem the flow and the game was up for grabs at the final change with Langhorne Creek leading by 18 points.

The game swung the Hawks way. The Magpies managed two goals in the last while the home team pushed through six. The margin blowing out to 40 points.

Compass storm home

Mount Compass are on top of the ladder undefeated, but at three quarter time it looked as if that run had ended with a brilliantly drilled Encounter Bay in front by 41 points.

But that lead disappeared with one of the best last quarter efforts seen at the Mount Compass oval. The Dogs kicked 7-6 to Encounter Bay's three points to steal the match by four points.

With more intent and speed favouring the Bays it gave their forwards plenty of chances to score in the opening term. Marshall had a couple of goals for the Bays and Baldock chipped in with one of his own. Bays were 4-1 to Compass 2-3 at the first break..

The second quarter continued in much the same vein, with Bays moving the ball quickly. Marshall and Karpany snaffled goals.

Pinyon and Ziggy Vitkunas were trying to keep the Dogs in the match, but Encounter Bay were merciless around the football, as Baldock, Davis-Neale, Barrett and Toole combined well to set up majors. At halftime it was Bays 8-4 to Compass struggling on 4-5.

In the third it was all Bays and at the last change the game seemed over. Bays led by 41 points. In the last, Compass woke from their slumber. Z Vitkunas was able to shake off his opponent and score three quick goals. Ruddock went back and McKenzie forward. Within minutes Compass were within three goals of Bays and the impossible seemed possible.

Pinyon kicked two more goals. The Bays had a couple of chances to put the game beyond Compass late in the term, but wasted their chances. Then Pinyon kicked number six and for the first time the Dogs were in front, just before the siren sounded to end the game.

Final scores were Bays 14-8 to Compass 14-12.


Discuss "Hawks swoop, as fight back by Dogs"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.