SA Police will be out in force this long weekend in an effort to try and stop South Australia's growing road toll.
Operation Safe Long Weekend will run from 12.01am on Friday night, June 7 to midnight on Monday, June 10.
The same weekend last year was fatality free, but for the previous five June long weekend periods there have been nine deaths and 37 serious injuries.
Deputy police commissioner Linda Williams has appealed to motorists to heed the road rules, be wary of other road users and take stock of their surrounds.
"As people head away this weekend, I'm asking drivers to play their part in road safety - for their sake, the sake of their family and passengers and on behalf of the entire community," she said.
Deputy Commissioner Williams said police were frustrated with this year's growing fatality and serious injury tolls.
"Many come back to driver error - driving too fast, not paying attention, falling asleep at the wheel or failing to belt up," she said.
"This weekend if you are heading away, you may be on country roads, in challenging weather conditions or in an unfamiliar setting, so please allow extra time, take regular breaks and drive with care."
South Australia's current road toll stands at 53, which is significantly higher than the 35 deaths at the same time last year.