Goolwa/Port Elliot won their first game of the season in Great Southern football

IN FULL STRIDE: Yankalilla defender Lachlan Whittlesea runs the ball forward for the Tigers on Saturday in the A grade clash against Mount Compass.
IN FULL STRIDE: Yankalilla defender Lachlan Whittlesea runs the ball forward for the Tigers on Saturday in the A grade clash against Mount Compass.

Goolwa Oval and rarely is there two teams after eight rounds without a win, but that was exactly the case as the Mudlarks travelled to town. With Phillips available and new recruit Luke Wilson, the Magpies looked in trouble, but a blistering start helped them to lead from start to finish, winning by 54 points.

The first term was one way traffic, but for the Magpies it was poor kicking that ensured that nerves weren't settled. Godwin-Knot was influential early, as was D Fry and Cinc as the Magpies spent the first term inside their half. Ferguson was among the goals as the home side kicked 4-8 for the term. Myponga-Sellicks appeared a bit shell shocked to only manage a behind. The margin 31 points at quarter time

The Mudlarks did start to get going in the second term. Ogilvie and Hill were two catalysts to this. They kicked the first goal and this seemed to rattle the home side as Wilson then bobbed up for his first and all of a sudden the margin was back to 20. Myponga/Sellicks kicked four goal to two for the term. A late steadier to D Fry saw the home side head in to the rooms for the first time this year in front by 19 points.

In the third term the Mudlarks once again had Hill and Ogilvie in everything, while O'Hanlon and Donohue also contributed. Cuthbert and Ferguson were among the action and the likes of Payne and Cinc were winning plenty of the ball and due to this the Magpies had a buffer at three quarter time by 34 points

In any circumstance a 34 point lead would be plenty, but the Magpies looked nervous and so to did the crowd and this wasn't helped, as Myponga/Sellicks kicked the first of the term.

Then Goolwa/Port Elliot broke the shackles and it was time to celebrate. Ferguson kicked his fifth, Cinc was rewarded with a couple late and when Nissen kicked a dribbler from the boundary, Goolwa Oval was rocking.

In the end a six goal final term and a convincing win. Disappointment from the more highly fancied Mudlarks, but the home team received a rousing reception as they left the oval winners. It was their first win since round 17, 2017.

For the home side, Cinc was brilliant, as to were D Fry and Godwin-Knot. Payne's skills were good and Ferguson provided good spark and five goals. Myponga/Sellicks didn't have enough contributors, but Hill was excellent and Grundy and Ogilvie can also walk away with heads high.

Mount Compass over power Yankalilla

Yankalilla were no match for Mount Compass on Saturday, as the Dogs led from start to finish with a blistering nine goal first term.

The Tigers rallied in the second term, but it was catch up and Compass had their noses in front and their tails up. Josh Wilson in ruck was handling Hoban well and Joel Whittlesea, Laba, Edwards and Tyllis were finding the ball to restrict the Compass lead by 58 points.

In the third it was an avalanche with Pinyon, Ziggy Vitkunas and Boots sharing the goals and by day's end they had booted 17 goals between them. Compass kicked nine goals to two in the third and ran out winners by 103 points. Best for the Dogs were Pinyon with seven goals, Tom and Ziggy Vitkunas, Boots and Heatley and for the Tigers, Durdin kicked four goals, Laba and Tyllis tried and Wilson rucked well all day.


Discuss "Magpies claim first win since 2017"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.