Willunga fine tune their football against Encounter Bay

GRABBED: Goolwa/Port Elliot big man Todd Marsh is dragged to the ground as he gets boot to ball by Victor Harbor defender Craig Smedley on Saturday.
GRABBED: Goolwa/Port Elliot big man Todd Marsh is dragged to the ground as he gets boot to ball by Victor Harbor defender Craig Smedley on Saturday.

It was a sunny day with a cold breeze blowing at Willunga on Saturday when Encounter Bay came to play the Demons.

Last time these sides met at Encounter Bay, the margin was only 8 points in favour of the Demons and this competition was expected to be tough.

Unfortunately, the Bays did not seem like they wanted to play and the Demons demolished them in every aspect.

Willunga kicked with the breeze in the first quarter and from the outset, started hard and fast and showed great skills.

Bass and Beath combined in a magnificent display of ruck and rover combination and were hardly beaten out of the centre. But it did not matter what the Bays did because they could not get control of the ball.

The Demons had the ball in their half most of the quarter and on the odd occasion that it slipped into the Bay forward zone the Willunga defence just sent it back with consummate ease.

The Demons piled on the early goals and it took until they were 24 minutes into the game before Nick Marshall managed the visitors only score for the quarter, a behind.

Then Pacillo kicked a beauty for the Demons to take the team's lead to 7 goals at quarter time. The Demons were in command.

There may have been an expectation that Encounter Bay would take advantage of the breeze in the second term, but that was not to be. Every time the ball went into the Encounter Bay scoring zone it was repelled.

On the two occasions it made it to the goal line it was to be devoured by the Demons and sent back.

Alexopoulos was making sure that the Bays did not get past his backlines. At the other end Thomas was ready to take advantage of the forward Demon drives. Willunga recruit Lee was everywhere on the top side and Renney was dangerous.

Haskett handled the ball and pushed his opponents off with ease. Altus showed guts and determination when ever the ball was near him. Willunga increased their margin to nearly twelve goals by half time.

Willunga looked strong and committed and it was hard to see how the Bays would get back into the game.

The Bays immediately provided the first forward thrust for the third quarter, but it did not produce a score.

Immediately, the Demons attacked and within minutes Boyd ran into an open goal for a major. Miegel and Hoffmann fought tenaciously for the ball to supply the Demons an advantage.

The Demons were running free all over the ground.

The Encounter Bay players must have been getting frustrated, as Demon Cook won a 50 metre penalty against Davis-Neale after a sloppy tackle.

Finally, Marshall scored the first goal for the Bays late in the third term.

The Demon lead had grown to eighteen goals at the start of the final quarter and everybody was getting tired.

But there was a burst from Encounter Bay. Bonnes and Williams, who had tried their hardest throughout the game had an impact. Karpeny became visible and posted a goal.

The Demons seemed to relax their guard a bit and let their opponents in and Marshall kicked another two goals and West a single. The Bays outscored the Demons in the final quarter, but it was all too late.

Willunga home by 97 points


Discuss "Willunga devour Encounter Bay"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.