Hawks strip the Demon's of top spot

High Flier: Mount Compass' Joss Davis takes a leaping mark in the centre of the ground before moving the ball forwards.
High Flier: Mount Compass' Joss Davis takes a leaping mark in the centre of the ground before moving the ball forwards.

Given the other significant games in the League last Saturday, the Willunga Demons had to ensure a win at home to keep their top spot on the ladder, but thanks to a great upset win by Langhorne Creek, the Demons have slipped to third, giving up the top spot to Victor Harbor. Willunga started to the north. With hardly any wind and a sticky surface under foot the Demons broke away from the first bounce and through club stalwart Thomas managed a goal in quick time. The first quarter was very even and a tightly fought contest. Hawk Sellar was stellar from the start, winning the ball out of the centre and feeding it to his rovers. Neither team displayed displayed a commanding advantage and there was a five point margin at the first break with Willunga up 5.1 to 4.2.

The second quarter was a tussle and scoring was difficult from the outset. Demons Altus and Scanlan were providing drive forward, but the Creek's backman were tenacious and continually blocked Willunga's frequent pushes towards goal. Kellock was resolute, holding his ground and demonstrating skill and power. In the last third of the quarter, Creeks got moving and two sudden run ons resulted in goals which had them up by nine at half time, though Willunga remained in touch. Scores were 7.2 to 8.5.

The Demons remained well within reach at the start of the third and Thomas and Haskett were doing everything they could to gain an ascendancy for their team. At the same time, Perrey and Blackwell were doing the same for the visiting Hawks and a great arm wrestle began again. Evenly matched, it was still anybody's game but then a repeat of the second quarter materialised when the Creek posted another two goals quick succession, in the final minutes of the third term. At the final break Langhorne Creek went to the huddle 20 points up with scores at 12.5 to 9.3.

The home side looked determined and were not about to let Creek off easily. Demons backman Hoffman went forward while M Cleggett and Lally continued the Creek's battle for the ball with tenacity. Willunga's Collier was rebounding off the backline and Miegel supported him to try to get the ball home. The last quarter was relatively even, and the Demons kicked a couple of points that would have been all the difference. Scoring continued goal for goal and when the final siren sounded the Hawks took out a great 17 point away victory 13.6 to 16.5.

Best for the Hawks were Sellar, Kellock, Blackwell and Perrey.

For the home side Thomas, Altus, Collier and Scanlan rounded out the top four after battling hard all day.