Southern Breakers take out local derby

Skipper: Southern Breakers Senior Captain Jesse Bryant fires off a free-kick through the Strathalbyn wall, during his side's 2-0 derby victory.
Skipper: Southern Breakers Senior Captain Jesse Bryant fires off a free-kick through the Strathalbyn wall, during his side's 2-0 derby victory.

The Southern Breakers senior sides were geared up for a much anticipated derby clash against Strathalbyn over the weekend, with games taking place under challenging conditions.

A strong, cold wind was blowing straight down the pitch at Strathalbyn, but that did not deter two Breaker's squads who were eager for a hit-out after last week's matches were called off following a forfeit by Aldinga.

The break did however, give both sides the chance for an internal hit out and gave up-and-coming juniors the opportunity to mix it with the senior players.

The reserves game started with some fairly scrappy play. Breakers took control early but just couldn't produce a polished finish to see the ball into the back of the net, despite some great work from Coles.

Houghton, Mogs, Cannon, Silva and Southwell all had good chances but failed also to convert. It took Jones to break the deadlock after Coles played a through ball which Jones ran onto before splitting the defence and tapping it past the keeper to open the scoring.

With Breakers playing into the breeze and going in 1 nil up at half time, coach Mogs asked for the squad to lift. And lift they did.

Breakers hit their stride and it wasn't long before they had their second goal, before the flood gates opened. Jones ended up with a well earned hat-trick, senior striker Mogs helped himself to two goals and Coles managed to get on the board with one.

Defenders Peters, Catinari, Church, Warren and Southwell were solid and hardly gave Strath an opportunity to get a shot on goal.

A solid 6-0 win was a great start to the day with Jamie Warren, Matt Jones and Aidan Houghton named best.

The A-grade game began with Breakers kicking with the wind. They wasted no time in opening their account, scoring in the first minute of play after Houghton made a superb run before cracking a shot from long range that curled perfectly into the net.

It wasn't long before Breakers doubled the advantage when Ritchie lobbed the ball forward, bamboozling the advancing keeper who misjudged the bounce and saw the ball sail over his head, before Sacaran ran in to tap the ball home.

That was to be the end of scoring for the match, which turned into a dour contest. Breakers controlled a majority of the ball, but despite the valiant attempts of captain Bryant, were kept to two goals.

Unfortunately the day was soured when Ritchie re-injured his hamstring, after only recently rejoining the squad. It did allow Smith a chance to have a run after also coming back from a similar injury.

Final scores were 2-0 with Aaron Houghton, Kevin Otieno, Jesse Bryant Sam Barth being named best.

It was the first time this year that Breakers have kept a clean sheet across both games. Breakers now sit fourth heading into the final game of the season against a strong, second-placed East Adelaide side. Games begin at 1.10pm at Port Elliot with senior presentations to follow in the clubrooms.