Strathalbyn house believed to contain asbestos destroyed by fire on Tuesday, September 10

A Strathalbyn house believed to contain asbestos has been destroyed by fire. Photo: File.
A Strathalbyn house believed to contain asbestos has been destroyed by fire. Photo: File.

A house in Strathalbyn has been completely destroyed as fire tore through it on Tuesday morning, September 10.

According to a Country Fire Service (CFS) spokesman, windows exploded and flames were seen burning through the roof of the single storey building two minutes after the first call to emergency services was made at 7.40am.

Four CFS crews attended the house on Richardson Avenue, which is believe to contain asbestos.

"They were unable to save the home but quickly acted to protect neighbouring households," the spokesman said.

Firefighters remained on scene most of the morning to fully extinguish the blaze.

Fire cause investigators are at the site to determine how the fire started, but early investigations indicate it is not suspicious.

The fire has cause about $150,000 worth of damage.