Willunga win through to Great Southern football grand final defeating Mount Compass

GOING FOR A FLY: Mount Compass hard hitting half forward James Scudds takes to the air on Saturday against Demon Tyson Hoffmann. PHOTO: Andrew Batten.

GOING FOR A FLY: Mount Compass hard hitting half forward James Scudds takes to the air on Saturday against Demon Tyson Hoffmann. PHOTO: Andrew Batten.

It was one of the best preliminary finals in the history of the Great Southern Football League. There was the one point thriller in 2016 between Strathalbyn and Encounter Bay, but on Saturday there were 35 goals kicked in a match that had big marks and stars strutting their stuff.

Willunga and Mount Compass showed why they are great clubs and on a Yankalilla oval bathed in sunshine, it was Spring football at its purest and best. The Dogs started the better with Pinyon kicking a goal and Ruddock causing the Demon defence headaches.

Camac's rebound was also hurting the Demons and he scored a good goal, but then an unlikely forward hero stood up for Willunga. Lee kicked two majors, followed by Hunt and Beath and all of a sudden it was Willunga leading by five points at quarter time.

It was the way the game was played. One team would get a run on and then the other would respond. Then mid-way through the second, Mount Compass showed why they are a team that had figured so prominently at this time of the year in the Great Southern Football League for the past six years under Peter Galbraith.

The Dogs hit over drive and Willunga were left floundering. Heatley, Copestick, Tom Vitkunas, Scudds, Guy, Hunter, Michael and Tom Corbett and Hoban played exciting, play on football and their key forward Pinyon did not let them down.

Pinyon kicked four goals for the term and Green, Ritter, Davis, Heatley and Marshall all chimed in with one each and the Dogs had blown the lead out to 32 points at half time and the Demons looked in disarray.

The nine goal blitz had many believing it was going to be a Mount Compass v Langhorne Creek grand final.

No one expected what was to come next in the third 'premiership' quarter. What was said in the Willunga rooms by coach Mitch Portlock worked, as it seemed the teams swapped jumpers.

Bass, Haskett, Hunt, Cook, Altus, Beath, Tregenza, Miegel and Nelson were let loose and the inspirational work of youngster Renney ignited the team. Renney kicked three brilliant crumbing goals, Bass booted three himself, Cook two and before anyone could blink, the Demons were in front.

The Dogs had stopped and their back half looked slow, as no one could catch the inspirational Renney and the Willunga mid-field took charge. Willunga kicked an amazing 11 goals to lead by 38 points at three quarter time. The Dogs were in shock.

In the last term the Dogs showed plenty of bite, but could not reel in the margin. Compass kicked three goals to one, but were knocked out of the finals by 20 points.

Pinyon booted seven goals in a brilliant display up forward for the Dogs, but the day belonged to Willunga and that third quarter of absolute dominance.