Breakers score a late goal to draw the League game on Saturday

MATCH WINNING: Breakers under 16 Keeper Caleb Polson pulls off a great save at full stretch in the 2-1 win on the weekend. Breakers defeated McLaren Districts.
MATCH WINNING: Breakers under 16 Keeper Caleb Polson pulls off a great save at full stretch in the 2-1 win on the weekend. Breakers defeated McLaren Districts.

What an enthralling set of events at Port Elliot Oval on Saturday when Southern Breakers hosted South Coast United.

Breakers B Grade made an extraordinary start to the afternoon scoring their first goal 40 seconds into the match and the A Grade scoring their equalising goal in the last 40 seconds of their game.

A very entertaining afternoon of soccer.

Breakers A grade squad went into the match with full of confidence after an emphatic win over McLaren Districts last week but were fully aware that South Coast United will be more of a challenge this week.

The early part of the first half was a tight affair with both teams playing good solid football.

South Coast United got the breakthrough midway in the half when their top goal scorer capitalised on an unfortunate slip by the defender.

It was like lightning striking twice with a similar turn of events and Breakers found themselves down 2-nil at half time.

Determined not to drop their heads, Breakers came out fighting hard in the second half and within five minutes reduced the deficit in half with an amazing finish from hardworking midfielder, Lee Smalls.

Breakers continued to put pressure on the opposition throughout the second half and made every effort to get the equaliser, but superb goal keeping kept them out.

In the last seconds of the match, South Coast succumbed to the immense pressure and conceded a penalty.

Michael Weston, the League's top goal scorer, made no mistake with the spot kick, earning Breakers a well-deserved 2-2 draw.

The Breakers Under 16 JSL side hosted McLaren Districts in the local derby and the Breakers won 2-1.

With a good start the Breakers scored in the first minute when Beaton belted the ball into the net, but the flag was up and the goal was ruled out for offside.

McLaren Districts started to get the upper hand and Breakers Keeper Polson made a great save to keep it nil- all.

In what seemed to be against the run off play, Loizi broke through and scored with a great finish to hit double figures for his goal tally for the season so far.

Soon after Beaton hit the top corner to double the Breakers lead with a fantastic strike. The Breakers went into half-time 2- 0 up.

In the second half, McLaren Districts hit back with an amazing free kick that no keeper in the world could keep out.

McLaren Districts pushed hard for the equaliser, but the Breakers defence was too strong and held on for a 2-1 win.

Six games into the season and the Breakers are yet to be defeated.

This result consolidates second spot on the ladder. Next week the Breakers travel to take on bottom side Plympton Bulldogs.

Breakers Under 16 captain Khai Hird clearing the ball out off defence.

Breakers Under 16 captain Khai Hird clearing the ball out off defence.

Breakers Reserve team is top of the table at the half way point in the season.

Breakers had another big game on Saturday taking on South Coast United who were just below them on the table.

Luckily a full squad was available and this gave the opportunity for coach Munro to have the luxury of a strong bench to utilise.

The perfect start was an understatement as senior coach Mogs managed to score within the first minute of the game, 40 seconds to be precise.

This gave Breakers a lift and they kept the pressure on the visiting South Coast squad.

The start nearly got better as captain Taylor made a run, but just put his shot wide.

It was then Young's turn for a solo run, but the keeper managed to save the chance.

Breakers were playing well as a unit passing the ball around and it was only the keeper that kept the visitors in the game as a goal mouth scramble was the next highlight with the keeper making four saves including one off his face, but none of the Breakers could manage to get the ball into the net.

Just before the half time break it was the Bens', Griffiths and Sinclair turn to score.

Griffiths came from a through ball from sub Henry and Sinclair's came from his brother in law Taylor taking a quick throw in that caught the defence lapsing, forgetting that no offside from a throw in.

In the second half Breakers kept the pressure on and Young's hard work paid off as he scored a great goal.

It was then Truong to get on the score board after he took advantage of a long ball. The Breakers unfortunately couldn't keep a clean sheet as on the hour mark a defensive error allowed the visitors to score.

Breakers didn't let this upset their momentum as Truong managed another goal and the scoring was rounded off with Armstrong scoring off the bench in his second game back at Breakers.

So after a great team effort the final score was 7-1.

Better players were Peter Casey, Mick Engleson, Truong Nguyen, Ben Sinclair and Griffiths, Jamie Warren and Alix Young

With the shortened season reaching its halfway point Southern Breakers Reserve team are sitting on top of the table with four straight wins and 12 points.

After beating last week's second place, South Coast United, now they take on new second placed position Old Ignations (on 7 points) at Breaker Park this Saturday in a another massive game.

Breakers Reserves player Peter Casey was one of the team's best on he weekend in their big win over South Cost United.

Breakers Reserves player Peter Casey was one of the team's best on he weekend in their big win over South Cost United.

Southern Breakers were defeated 5-2 by Adelaide Comets in the Under 13 JSL competition on the weekend.

Breakers knew that this game was going to be a tough one against the mighty Adelaide Comets.

Comets kicked off and had the first half advantage of going downhill.

Breakers started the game very well keeping their shape and sticking to their game plan.

Breakers had the first chance of the game from a corner which they played a short one to create a goal scoring opportunity, but failed to find the net.

Comets took the lead 0-1 after 15 minutes, then it was 0-2 after 22 minutes.

Some good saves from Breakers keeper Keat Hendricks along with some good work from the Breakers defence kept the halftime score line respectable and the coaches were happy with the first half performance.

Breakers started the second half badly and within eight minutes of the restart found themselves 0-5 down.

A few individual errors along with not marking tighter and pushing up to get Comets offside were some of Breakers mistakes.

However Breakers finished the last 20 minutes of the game the better team.

Forward Jackson Crane running the ball from the halfway line, lifted his shot over the oncoming keeper superbly from 20 yards out and hit the back of the net to amke the score 1-5

Two minutes later Breakers were awarded a free kick wide left deep into the final third.

Riley North took the shot from range, but the Comets defence got a block in. Riley didn't give up and ran along the edge of the 18 yard box to collect the deflection then unleashed another shot from the edge of the D which produce a great save from the Comets keeper.

Then midfielder James Bland controlled a high ball near the halfway line with a great first touch, then found Jackson with a superb 25 yard pass on the edge of the 18 yard box. Jackson calmly took a first touch and struck a lobbed shot over the keeper into the far corner. The score a respectable 2-5.

Despite the end result Breakers coaches were pleased with their team's performance against a very strong opposition. They still need to cut out the individual errors but as a team they are improving immensely.


Discuss "Last gasp goal keeps Southern Breakers in title hunt"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.