Great Southern had another great round of football played

OUT OF MY WAY: McLaren's Samuel Bentley goes to push off a determined Rooster in Austin Mcfarlane on Saturday in A grade football.
OUT OF MY WAY: McLaren's Samuel Bentley goes to push off a determined Rooster in Austin Mcfarlane on Saturday in A grade football.

Tigers win by two points

As it turned out this was a cracker of a game at Tigerland, as every time the Tigers flexed their muscle the Bays fought back,

Encounter Bay are slowly improving and never seem too far out of contention in their matches.

There was the usual to and fro at start, until Gamble put the first major on scoreboard for Bays. A great start for what turned out to be a good game for the number seven. The Tigers were missing their targets and just generally overdoing it, as all the play was in Bays' forward 50.

The Tigers finally settled and found their first through Thomas who drilled it. Just as Yank looked like gaining ascendancy mistakes crept in. Scores locked together at quarter time.

Bays had the better start in the second, and Horrocks scored a great goal from the boundary, one of a few for him, as he just kept popping up all day and is in great form.

The Tigers couldn't hit the target and Bays had flooded their 50, as the Tigers kept falling down at the last step then giving away silly frees, relieving the pressure.

Horrocks was only too happy to push the point with a goal, as the Bays kept the pressure on.

Fittock goaled for the Tigers, but the Bays just kept pressing and missed a sitter while, Liddle for Yank goaled evening it up. Every time the Tigers looked like opening it up with possession footy the Bays bottled it up. At halftime it was Yankalilla by five points

The third was where the Tigers really almost through the game away. The Tigers needed their forwards to get in form and they started well, but a tight contested game was on and great little contests started all over the ground.

The Tigers managed to lock it in and they had many set shots on goal, but of the 10 shots on goal this quarter, only three found their mark.

The Tigers began to dictate everywhere, but the scoreboard. Against the flow of the game, the Bays got back a beauty from a tight angle and the Tigers just leaked goals after periods of domination.

Yank should have have buried the Bays in the third and only led by four points at three quarter time after kicking 3-7 for the term.

The last term was an absolute cracker, both sides throwing themselves at the ball. It was a complete tussle, goal for goal, until late in the quarter when the Bays strung a couple together to hit the front and put a foot on any Tiger momentum.

But the Tigers weren't done and that replenished centreline flexed its muscle and they found that man Thomas who marked in front of the pack and wasn't going to disappoint Wilson in his 200th game. He put the Tigers back in front and then the Tigers through Clark, who had been hard at it all day, held the ball and ran the clock down. Tigers home by two points.

BUSTLING BULLDOG: Cody Connor attempts to burst past Goolwa/Port Elliot's Ethan Cinc on Saturday in the A grade clash at Mount Compass.

BUSTLING BULLDOG: Cody Connor attempts to burst past Goolwa/Port Elliot's Ethan Cinc on Saturday in the A grade clash at Mount Compass.

Hawks defeat Willunga in trying conditions

Langhorne Creek took on Willunga last Saturday at Langhorne Creek. The Hawks managed a 30 point win on the day, but it came at a cost with injuries.

The game began with Sellar for the Hawks in ruck against Bass for the away side. The conditions were slippery, but it was the away team that had the early running with Jonathon Cook nailing the first major when he kicked the ball off the ground near the square.

Again Willunga attacked with early drive from their midfield, resulting in Milford slotting their second goal on the run. Eventually the Hawks got going and scored their first major through the hands of McGregor.

Willunga soon replied after Beath received a free and kicked truly. The Hawks managed two late goals in the quarter through Helyar and Kellock. At the first break the visitors held a narrow one point margin over the Hawks.

The second quarter was a scrappy affair with numerous stoppages. The Hawks opened their account with Follett kicking a goal in the early minutes. Both defences were working hard with Derham for the Hawks holding the back six together and Alexopoulos likewise for Willunga.

A sickening head clash between the Hawks Perrey and the Demons Beath stopped play for a time. Neither took part for the rest of the day. The Demons were unable to add to the their quarter time score. At the main break the home side held a margin of 17 points.

The third quarter began with the lights turned on and the Demons' Pacillo recorded the first goal for the term.

This would be there first major since the first quarter and ultimately for the match. The Hawks were handling the conditions a little better than their opponents with midfielders Matt Dominish and Blackwell getting plenty of touches. Likewise the Demons had the run of Milford and Miegel. A mark from Helyar and subsequent goal was the only scoring action from the Hawks in the quarter. At the last break the Hawks had increased their lead to 19 points.

It was more of the same in the final term. The Hawks had the majority of the play in their forward arc for the quarter, but the wet ball made it hard to score with the home side recording two goals through the boots of Kellock and Howell. At the final siren the Hawks had recorded a 30 point win.

The Hawk had winners on the day through Matt Dominish and Howell. The visitors were well served through the hands of Milford, Miegel and Cook.

McLaren's Alex Moyle is well balanced to kick on Saturday.

McLaren's Alex Moyle is well balanced to kick on Saturday.

Mudlarks score first win for 2020

Conditions were cold, gloomy at Victor oval when the Roos hoped to register their first victory against the also winless Myponga/Sellicks. The two sides looked evenly matched for most of the day. It was the hosts who opened the scoring early through a good passage of play going from end to end with Sam Basham finishing off.

The reply from Pongy was swift when Williams, Sam Kennedy and Jordan Kennedy all made the most of their three consecutive free kicks in front of goal. The 10 point lead was to be the gap at the first change of ends.

The second term was entertaining with three goals apiece. Harman was marking strongly for the visitors and set up a goal before getting one himself and he was well supported by Spinks, Trevena and Clarke at ground level, while Bruce contested solidly in ruck.

For Victor, Bartram was leading the defence well as usual while youngsters McCarthey, Grenfell, Mulhern and Wade showed good signs through the corridor. The Basham brothers were marking strongly to provide a target and Schubert was taking risks while trying to get something happening. Basham kicked two more for the home side and Schubert took advantage of two 50m penalties.

The third term was a real slogging arm wrestle, despite Victor having most of the play they squandered golden opportunities to take the lead. One shot hit the post, a kick off of the ground in the goal square was ruled touched and a Basham shot went uncharacteristically out on the full. Both defences hung on grimly before Harman marked and goaled against the run of play with less than a minute before the last change to make the job even harder for the home side. Mudlarks lead by 17 points.

The final term looked over when Kain Spinks marked and goaled for Myponga/Sellicks. A running snap from Fletcher and yet another long goal from Basham added some respectability to the score from a side that fought it out to the end, but ultimately turned out to be a disappointing 11 point loss for the fast finishing Roos.

Top Dog Adam Hunter flies over Magpie James Fry on Saturday.

Top Dog Adam Hunter flies over Magpie James Fry on Saturday.

Dogs too strong

Compass welcomed Goolwa/Port Elliot up to the mountain top on a wet drizzly day. Compass, blooding young players into the seniors this year gave first year out of juniors lad Denis Keiper a run in the firsts.

D Fry was first out of the blocks to drive Goolwa/Port Elliot into attack. McKenzie, reading the ball well, turned back early Magpie advances. Godwin-Knott, providing a leading target, goaled twice in quick succession to open the account for Goolwa/Port Elliot.

T Vitkunas snapped a goal for Compass and, likewise, Ritter to even the game. Mott followed up with a set shot from T Vitkunas hard running work through centre. Prior and Godwin-Knott kept the goals coming for Goolwa/Port Elliot, as did Z Vitkunas and Connor for Compass giving them a one goal advantage at quarter time.

D Fry continued to give Goolwa/Port Elliot early use of the ball in the second term, but this was later nullified by Pittaway and Hunter for Compass allowing Ritter to goal.

Heatley, then McKenzie goaled for Compass after drifting down from full back and the Dogs pulled away to lead by nealry five goals at halftime.

Compass were the first to go forward in the third, creating goaling opportunities for Hunter, Z Vitkunas, Mott and McKenzie.

Fry and Ferguson with back to back goals helped Goolwa/Port Elliot make a mini comeback, but a quick passage of play from deep in defence saw Mott goal due to dogged play by Green spoiling the Magpie plan. The Compass lead was now eight goals.

Heatley, T Vitkunas, Hunter, Osmond, Green, Pittaway and Mott contributed to the burgeoning Compass' lead as the sea fog rolled in. Compass ran out the game pretty much in control. The young Dogs won by 14 goals and shows the continued improvement in the Compass team since losing their first game

Magpie Ethan Cinc attempts to smother Mount Compass' Scott Pittaway on Saturday.

Magpie Ethan Cinc attempts to smother Mount Compass' Scott Pittaway on Saturday.

McLaren humble Roosters

McLaren's Steve Kahl and Rooster Nathan Duffield compete in the ruck to get the game started and Kahl was in unfamiliar territory being the younger ruckman in this contest.

Lachie Matthews, Brendan Gill and Brett Ellis were on top early in the midfield for McLaren and the scoreboard got going early, as forwards Max Wakefield, Luke Goodieson getting goals and Jordan Mutton looking dangerous scoring two.

McLaren keen to get the ball moving into loose players in open space whilst Strathalbyn were trying to keep the game in close with good tackling and sharp direct movement. Forwards Austin McFarlane and Ben Simounds both marking strongly with goals. McLaren dominated the quarter but with some inaccurate kicking 11 scoring shots to three held a four goal lead at quarter time.

Strathalbyn lifted in the second quarter with Ryan Clarke into the ruck, Brodie Martin and Jacob Wright playing well and Strathalbyn got the first two goals of the quarter.

Ben Simounds, and Dustin Cross kicked goals, but McLaren lifted again through Stuart Green and Kaine Hopkins holding on well in defence. Daniel Marr was getting plenty of it in the middle. Strathalbyn won the quarter, but injuries to Ben Simounds and Brodie Martin was a set back. McLaren an inaccurate 8-11, led Strath 5-1 at half time.

It was the Brett Ellis show in the third, not only dominating the midfield, but kicking three goals in the quarter. There was no one on him!

Daniel Pegler tried to do his bit for Strathalbyn. McLaren to kicked seven goals to Strath's one point and game over at the last break.

In the last term Jacob Wright Liam Stirling and Austin McFarlane worked hard for the Roosters, but it was all McLaren with the final score 17.23 to Strathalbyn's 8.6.

Mount Compass A grade player Aiden Brencens kicks his kick away out of traffic on Saturday against Goolwa/Port Elliot.

Mount Compass A grade player Aiden Brencens kicks his kick away out of traffic on Saturday against Goolwa/Port Elliot.