Six-day lockdown will challenge the Fleurieu Peninsula

Get tested if you have symptoms: Nurses at the COVID Clinic in Victor Harbor who assess and test the public who have symptoms. Photo: File.
Get tested if you have symptoms: Nurses at the COVID Clinic in Victor Harbor who assess and test the public who have symptoms. Photo: File.

The second wave of COVID-19 has hit South Australia, with a six day "circuit breaker" lockdown placed into effect at midnight, Thursday November 19.

A further eight days of yet to be announced, "less significant" restrictions will follow.

Regional travel has been barred as part of the lockdown and those with holiday homes or second residences on the Fleurieu Peninsula will not be permitted to travel to or utilise these proprieties.

This will also prevent school leavers from entering caravan parks and holiday rentals this weekend, which had been anticipated as part of 2020 Schoolies celebrations.

As part of the six day circuit breaker lockdown, South Australians must remain in their homes and the wearing of masks is being encouraged.

One person per household may leave once a day for essential tasks including shopping for food and medical supplies.

No outdoor exercise will be permitted, all schools and universities are now closed, as are hospitality outlets including takeaway food.

South Australia's chief health officer Professor Nicola Spurrier said the circuit breaker aimed to "stamp out the cluster" and "reduce the risk of the virus spreading".

"There is no second chance to stop a second wave," she said.

Police commissioner Grant Stevens said he was 100 per cent supportive of the approach.

"Our expectation is that people will do the right thing and abide by this extreme level of imposition for a short period of time and help us do our job," he said.

"If you are out and about during these six days you should be able to justify the reason for your travel. We will be out there and we will be making sure people do the right thing.

"We will provide more detail in relation to the specific restrictions we are putting in place... but essentially, you are required to stay at home for the next six days and only one person from a home may leave once a day.

"We are relying on people to do the right thing and we will support the community as best as we can.. let's work together and make sure we get through this together.

"Supermarkets are going to be open beyond today [Wednesday]... if we see any civil disorder we will be taking action; this is completely unacceptable and there is no need for panic buying."

Mr Stevens said SAPOL has also requested additional support from the Australian Defence Force.

Business Victor Harbor Chair Michael Schubert said the local business community was strong and resilient and would pull through.

"It is paramount that as a community, we support each other and Business Victor Harbor will assist businesses where possible and guide them with navigating these uncertain times," Mr Schubert said.

"Businesses should ensure that their COVID-19 plans are up to date and that they complete a business risk assessment to ensure they have strategies in place for their specific circumstances.

"We also encourage them to follow and adhere to strict hygiene practices."

District Council of Yankalilla CEO Nigel Morris said the council had immediately implemented the recommendations from the Premier and the Local Government Authority.

"To be sure there is minimum effect to our services, we have reverted to video meetings and encouraging staff to work from home," he said.

"Now is the time for everyone to do the right thing and listen to the advice of SA Health, let's get SA back into the good position we were previously in."

Alexandrina and the City of Victor Harbor councils have also moved swiftly to enact new measures following the announcement of further restrictions.

"The core of our intent with any response to COVID-19 is to ensure essential services are maintained for our community in the safest way possible," Alexandrina CEO Glenn Rappensberg said.

"Alexandrina Council is closely monitoring the current health alert in South Australia, and will continue to follow information being provided by the Australian and South Australian Governments relating to Coronavirus.

"Council will take a proactive approach to service level changes during these uncertain times to keep our community safe, as well as supporting the resilience of our local business community.

"Our focus continues to be the wellbeing and safety of our community, volunteers and staff."