Victorian lockdown: What the new coronavirus restrictions mean for me?

Robyn Lindsay putting on a mask. Picture: DARRAN HOWE
Robyn Lindsay putting on a mask. Picture: DARRAN HOWE

From 11.59pm on Thursday, May 27, Victoria will go into a seven-day circuit breaker lockdown.

Statewide, there are 34 active cases of coronavirus, 40,411 people were screened for the virus on Wednesday and 12,677 people received their vaccination.


The message from acting premier James Merlino was clear; get vaccinated if you are eligible.

"I can't stress this enough," he said.

"The only pathway through the pandemic is for people to get vaccinated as soon as they're eligible, and for our state and our nation to have an alternative to quarantine in terms of high risk.

"Make your plan today."

There are five reasons to leave your house:

  • Shopping for necessary goods and services
  • Caregiving or compassionate reasons
  • Essential work or permitted education
  • Exercise for two hours
  • To get vaccinated


Face coverings must be carried at all times and must be worn when you are indoors or outdoors except in your home or if you have an exemption.

Am I allowed to go outside?

There is a travel limit of kilometres from place of primary residence unless your nearest shops are further away than that distance.

"There's to be no public gatherings," Mr Merlino said. "In terms of what remains open; restaurants, pubs, and cafes can provide takeaway only.

"Essential retail, so supermarkets, food stores, petrol stations, banks, bottle shops and pharmacies, other retail stores can provide click and collect."

Am I allowed to open my business? 

  • Essential retail (supermarkets, food stores, bottle shops, banks, petrol stations and pharmacies) can open
  • Non-essential retail will only open for click and collect
  • Gyms, hairdressers, community facilities and entertainment venues will close
  • Hospitality venues will be open for takeaway only

How many people can I have over for dinner?

None, but intimate partners are allowed to visit each other.

If you live alone, you are allowed to have a bubble with another person.

Can I send my children to school? 

Early learning centres, childcare, family day care will remain open.

Schools will move to remote learning, except for vulnerable children, and children of authorised workers.

Higher education will move to remote learning only.

Border restrictions

The South Australian government has enforced travel restrictions on people travelling from the greater Melbourne region and Bendigo to the state.

Premier Steven Marshall said from 6pm on Wednesday night, no one from Melbourne was permitted to travel to South Australia but central Victorian residents will need to isolate for 14 days.

Arrivals to Western Australia have been forced to isolate until they produce a negative result after the state government imposed border restrictions on Victorians who arrived after 6pm on Tuesday.

The New Zealand government placed a 72-hour pause on flights from Victoria throughout the Trans-Tasman bubble on Tuesday following the confirmation of new coronavirus cases.

The New South Wales and Victorian border remains open but unnecessary travel is not recommended.

Tasmania has introduced travel restrictions for Victorians.


If you can work from home, you must work from home but essential work is permitted.


Hotels and accommodation can only stay open to support guests already staying onsite. No new bookings can be made - unless it's for one a permitted purpose, like authorised work.

Recreation and sport

Approved professional sporting events will proceed but proceed without crowds.

Indoor and outdoor entertainment venues, swimming pools, spas, saunas, indoor and outdoor springs, community venues, drive in cinemas, amusements parks, creative studios, art galleries and museums, tourism, tours, and transport, and auctions can only happen online.

Hotels, clubs, TABs and the casino will be closed and community support and recreation.

Health settings

No visitors are allowed at aged care facilities except for limited reasons.

In hospitals, visitation can occur for end of life, to support a partner during birth or a parent accompanying a child.

Ceremonies and religious gatherings

In terms of ceremonies; funerals can have a maximum of 10 people plus those running the service. Weddings cannot proceed unless end of life or deportation reasons apply and religious activities will not proceed other than through broadcast with a maximum of five people.

The list of COVID-19 exposure sites grew on Wednesday and now include venues in Bendigo, Axedale and Cohuna.

More information is available on the DHHS website.

See the full government information pack here:

This story What do the new coronavirus restrictions mean for me? first appeared on Bendigo Advertiser.