After discussions between the state government and the District Council of Yankalilla, the damaged finger at the Cape Jervis Boat Ramp has been removed.
On September 9, Mayor Simon Rothwell said the Department of Infrastructure and Transport (DIT) had highly recommended to "remove the finger due to extreme level risk that the finger presents in its current condition", and council accepted this.
According to a council report, the finger has been roped off since August 2018 due to its poor state.
At the general council meeting on September 21, council chief executive officer Nigel Morris confirmed the finger had been removed that day.
Mr Rothwell said the council understood how important the infrastructure was, and hoped the state government would prioritise funding to replace it.
"This is a really important step in building the relationship between council and DIT to progress the much-needed improvements to the boat launching facilities at Cape Jervis," he said.
The finger's removal was at DIT's cost.