Flowers have been laid for NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian today, after her announcement on Friday that she would step down following the revelation she is being investigated by the state's Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC).
Possible contenders for the job have already begun circling, with Planning Minister Rob Stokes confessing to reporters he is doing the numbers.
"I believe I have the qualities necessary to provide strong government into the future," Mr Stokes said.
He is expected to go up against likely contender and NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet.
In COVID news, the ACT recorded its tied-worst day yet, with 52 new cases recorded and two deaths. NSW had 813 new COVID cases and 10 deaths; Victoria recorded 1488 new cases and two deaths; while both Queensland and South Australia had two new cases.
Victorian businesses impacted by the construction industry's two-week shutdown will be given almost $200 million in financial support; and in NSW private hospitals are preparing to resume non-urgent surgery on Tuesday.
In Melbourne, a detention centre worker has tested positive for coronavirus, potentially putting more than 200 refugees at risk of becoming infected.
Sports fans will be happy to hear the NRL grand final between the Rabbitohs and the Bulldogs is still going ahead in Brisbane on Sunday.
Drugmaker Merck has claimed it has developed an antiviral COVID pill which would reduce deaths and hospitalisation rates by half.
The claims comes as global COVID deaths hit 5 million.
Also, two "lucky" men in their 60s survived a helicopter crash near Newcastle this morning, miraculously only needing minor medical care.
Did you know you can receive this daily digest by email? Sign up here
- The start of a new Storay for police dog Fang
- NSW records 813 new COVID cases, 10 deaths
- New state record: Victoria records 1488 new COVID-19 cases, two deaths
- NRL GF plans firm with low COVID-19 cases
- The aftermath of Gladys Berejiklian's shock ICAC resignation as premier
- Parcels piling up due to increasing delivery demands
- Disgust after vandals attack Myall Creek Massacre Memorial
- 'We've missed the boat': Fears region not ready for another bushfire